SUSTAINABILITY OF CERAMIC SURFACES
ISO 17889-1 certification
ISO 17889-1 CERTIFICATION SUSTAINABILITY FOR CERAMIC TILES
Coem meets the requirements of the ISO 17889-1 standard, implementing a series of actions and measures along the entire life-cycle of the product:
Environmental criteria for the sustainabilty of ceramic surfaces
- Procurement of local raw materials obtained or extracted within a radius of 800 km, recorded on relative safety data sheets. Over 97% of Coem raw materials are obtained or extracted within a radius of 800 km, constituting the maximum level of excellence with respect to this parameter;
- Recycled waste content in products over 6 mm thick. Coem has various product lines with over 60% of pre-consumer recovered waste, reaching the highest level of excellence regarding the content of recycled waste in the product;
- Contract for the purchase of raw materials and environmental services with suppliers that adhere to internal environmental policy systems;
- Implementation of the Environmental Management System (EMS) and Energy Efficiency Management System (EEMS).
All Coem’s plants are ISO 14001 and Emas-certified and use an energy efficiency management system conforming to ISO 5001;
- Use of heat recovery systems for manufacturing kilns. 100% of Coem’s kilns have a heat recovery system;
- Use of renewable energy in the production line. All Coem’s plants achieve the maximum level of excellence in the use of renewable energy;
- Use of natural gas in production systems;
- Monitoring of specific consumption of fuel for firing kilns. All Coem’s plants achieve the maximum level of excellence in the specific consumption of fuel;
- Monitoring of emissions of dust and fluorine into the atmosphere. All Coem plants achieve the maximum level of excellence in reducing emissions into the atmosphere;
- Recycling and reuse of process waste.
All Coem’s plants achieve the maximum level of excellence in the recycling and reuse of process waste with values above 100%;
- Recycling of product packaging materials above 50%. All Coem’s plants achieve the maximum level of excellence in the recycling of packaging materials;
- Differentiated collection and recycling of materials used in the production process;
- Monitoring of specific water consumption and wastewater discharge during the production cycle. All Coem’s plants achieve the maximum level of excellence in the reduction of specific consumption of water and do not discharge wastewater as it is entirely recycled;
- Use of packaging made with recycled materials. All Coem’s plants achieve the maximum level of excellence as over 70% of packaging materials are recycled;
- Type III Environmental Product Declaration (EPD for the sector).
- Demonstration of conformity of the product with the standards applicable to the company. Coem’s first-choice products comply with the EN 14411 (ISO 13006) standard.
- Information on the risks of workers’ exposure to chemical and physical agents;
- Presence of dust extraction and filtering systems in the various production departments;
- All Coem’s plants achieve the maximum level of excellence in periodic occupational health and safety checks;
- Provision of personal protective equipment on the basis of ascertained potential risks. All Coem’s plants achieve the maximum level of excellence in providing its employees with, and ensuring they use, all personal protective equipment necessary for guaranteeing safe production activities;
- Implementation of an occupational health and safety management system. All Coem plants are certified with regards to health and safety in compliance with the ISO 45001 standard;
- Contract for the purchase of raw materials and services only with suppliers who comply with health, safety and labor laws and regulations;
- Information provided to tile dealers and installers for a correct and safe use of the tiles, their packaging and cutting;
- Preparation of product safety data sheets for dealers and installers;
- Information provided on the correct use and maintenance of ceramic surfaces.