SUSTAINABILITY OF CERAMIC SURFACES
ISO 17889-1 certification
ISO 17889-1 CERTIFICATION SUSTAINABILITY FOR CERAMIC TILES
Coem meets the requirements of ISO 17889-1 by complying with a series of actions and measures throughout the product life cycle:
- Sourcing of local raw materials that are either salvaged or extracted within a radius of 800 km, registered with the relevant safety data sheet. Over 97% of Coem’s raw materials are salvaged or extracted within a radius of 800 km, representing the highest level of excellence with respect to this parameter;
- Recycled waste content in products over 6 mm thick. Coem has several product lines that are made up of over 60% salvaged and pre-consumer waste, achieving the highest level of excellence for recycled waste content in the product;
- Purchasing contract for raw materials and environmental services with suppliers that adhere to internal environmental policy systems;
- Implementation of the Environmental Management System (EMS) and Energy Efficiency Management System (EEMS). All Coem plants are ISO 14001 and EMAS certified and use an efficient energy management system compliant with ISO 5001;
- Use of systems for recovering the heat from kilns. 100% of Coem’s ovens have a heat recovery system;
- Use of renewable energy in the production line. All Coem plants achieve the highest level of excellence in the use of renewable energy;
- Use of natural gas in production facilities;
- Monitoring of specific fuel consumption for kilns. All Coem plants achieve the highest level of excellence in specific fuel consumption;
- Monitoring of dust and fluorine emissions into the atmosphere. All Coem plants achieve the highest level of excellence in the reduction of atmospheric emissions.
- Recycling and reuse of process waste. All Coem plants achieve the highest level of excellence in recycling and reuse of process waste with values exceeding 100%;
- Over 50% of the product’s packaging materials are recycled. All Coem plants achieve the highest level of excellence in the recycling of packaging materials;
- Separate collection and recycling of materials used in the production process;
- Monitoring of specific water consumption and waste water discharge during the production cycle. All Coem plants achieve the highest level of excellence in reducing specific water consumption and do not discharge waste water as it is entirely recycled;
- Use of packaging made from recycled materials. All Coem plants achieve the highest level of excellence in that over 70% of packaging materials are recycled;
- Guide for product installation on site containing provisions for correct waste management;
- Instructions for routine tile maintenance without the use of hazardous and polluting products;
- Guidelines on separation and management of waste materials for tile demolition;
- Type III Environmental Product Declaration (EPD).
Demonstration of product conformity with the regulations applied by the company.
Coem’s first choice products comply with EN 14411 (ISO 13006).
- Information on the risks of exposure to chemical and physical agents for workers;
- Presence of dust extraction and filtering systems in the various production departments;
- Periodic audits on occupational health and safety in manufacturing. All Coem plants achieve the highest level of excellence in periodic audits on occupational health and safety;
- Provision of personal protective equipment according to the potential risks assessed. All Coem plants achieve the highest level of excellence in providing their employees with all the personal protective equipment necessary to ensure safe production activities, and ensuring that they use it;
- Implementation of an occupational health and safety management system. All Coem plants are certified at health and safety level in accordance with ISO 45001;
- Purchasing contracts for raw materials and services only with suppliers that comply with regulations and laws on health, safety and labour;
- Information provided to the tile dealer and tile fitter for the correct and safe use of tiles, their packaging and cutting;
- Provision of product safety data sheets for the retailer and tile fitter;
- Information provided to the user on the correct use and maintenance of ceramic surfaces.